Just when you think that you have avoided all the hidden dangers of the holiday season and are free of delicious sweets and tempting treats, another holiday has come. As with every time of the year, we must not take our teeth for granted and do anything that could result in an oral injury or fall victim to the subtle risks of long-term damage over time.
Enjoy Valentine’s Day with a smile that shines. Here are some of our top tips to keep your teeth healthy during the season of love:
– Avoid sweet treats: Sugary-sweet drinks and treats can increase your risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
– Avoid oral accidents: Watch out for oversized chocolate bars or hard candies as they may chip or crack your teeth. When it comes to sweets, never bite off more than you can chew.
– Choose sweets carefully: Replace chewy, sour, and hard candies with better options such as chocolate or sugarless gum. Look for sugarless gum with the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Make a plan: If you prepare in advance for your oral health care, you are less likely to suffer setbacks or overindulge on days of celebration or merrymaking.
– Schedule a visit: Always set aside time each year for oral exams and professional cleanings from our dentists at David J. Harsant, DDS, PA at our office in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
Your oral health care should remain an integral part of your lifestyle all year long. For special occasions, such as Valentine’s Day, extra care and attention should be given to your teeth and gums. If you would like to set up an appointment with Dr. David J. Harsant, please call our office at 910.864.4646. We make smiles brighter!